US Armored Artillery in World War II - 7044
by Steven J. Zaloga
The US Army began WWII with no armored field artillery vehicles in service. The T30 75mm HMC and the T19 105mm HMC were hastily brought into service as interim solution. The 105mm M7 Priest entered service in the summer of 1943 and became the most numerous and important armored artillery vehicles in US Army service. The M8 75mm HMC was introduced about the same time as the M7, and was used to provide fire support for armored cavalry reconnaissance squadrons.
In 1944, the M12 155mm GMC was issued to field artillery battalions for attacking German fortified positions. Since this large gun allowed only a few rounds of ammunition to be carried, a companion M30 cargo carrier was built to supply the M12 with ammunition. Three other new self-propelled guns were developed but none was ready before the war ended.
The book starts with the North African campaign when only the T30 and T19 were used. The Italian campaign saw the M7 and M8 entered service. The M12 started its bunker busting role in France. The book then moved on to the Siegfried Line campaign, Battle of the Bulge, Germany in 1945 and finally the Pacific campaign. All images are high quality US Army Signal Corps photos, depicting the motor gun carriages in action throughout the war.